top of page

World Chocolate Day: A Treat for Humans, A Threat for Pets

Chocolate toxicity animals

As we indulge in the sweetness of World Chocolate Day, it's crucial to remember that what's a treat for us can be a threat to our beloved pets. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, two stimulants that animals process much slower than humans. This can lead to a build-up of toxic levels in their systems, causing a range of health issues. 

The Dangers of Chocolate to Pets 

For dogs, cats, and other pets, ingesting chocolate can lead to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and even seizures. In severe cases, chocolate toxicity can be fatal. 

dog licking mouth

Keeping Chocolate Out of Paw's Reach 

It's important to keep chocolate well out of reach of pets. This includes ensuring that treats are stored securely and that any chocolate waste is disposed of properly. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately. 

Celebrating Safely with Our Furry Friends 

While we can't share our chocolate treats with pets, we can still celebrate together. Consider making pet-safe treats or investing in new toys to show your love and keep them involved in the festivities. 

cat begging for treats


World Chocolate Day is a time for joy and indulgence, but let's ensure it's safe for everyone in our family, including our four-legged members. By being aware and taking precautions, we can prevent chocolate-related emergencies and keep our pets healthy and happy. 


Happy World Chocolate Day! 

If you are at all concerned that your pet has ingested any form of chocolate, please contact us on: 07137 210011

Outside of our opening hours please contact either of our out-of-hour providers:

MiNight Vet - Caterham - 01883 725 790

VetsNow - Sutton - 0208 127 0393

2 views0 comments


bottom of page